You feel that every time you close the door of your dressing room a parallel world opens up that turns all the clothes you once liked into dull clothes that you don’t want to wear anymore.
The solution to stop feeling anxious because you have nothing to wear and control the urge to run off to the nearest Zara is to stop. Stop, reflect, get rid of things and slow down the pace of compulsive shopping.
Tips for selecting treasures in a closet full of clothes
You feel you have nothing to wear because there are too many clothes in your closet that you don’t like.
Surely if you have to choose which garment by garment you like and which you don’t like from your wardrobe, you will get rid of very little clothing. That’s why this “coat hanger trick” will help you know what clothes you really wear. The steps are very simple:
- Go to your closet and in 15 minutes tidy up all your hangers in the same direction, facing the inside of the closet.
- During the period of time you choose (it can be 15 days, 1 month or 2 months) each time you take a garment, turn the hanger around.
- After that time check which hangers you have not turned around and which clothes you have not worn during the experiment.
These past few weeks you’ve been picking out the clothes you wear the most. You’re not getting any surprises. You probably already figured out what it was. The rest just takes up space.
- Now yes, book an hour of your afternoon, go to the closet and take a look at the clothes you haven’t worn.
- Is it broken or does it have a tare? Throw it away. Doesn’t it suit you or don’t you like it anymore? Donate it.
It’s that simple and that complicated at the same time because it’s not easy at all.
This is a good way to start simplifying your wardrobe, keeping only the clothes you really like and eliminating the “I have nothing to wear” effect.
Without all those clothes you’ll have room for the ones you love. This will help you simplify your life and create your own “capsule closet”. Although we’ll talk about that in a post very soon.